Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chris M
Sheet Hand

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2011 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just bought an E28 called Livia. Penned at RPYC. Very excited!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/livia-e28

Robert Simmons
Helmsman

Australia
420 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2011 :  09:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Chris. See you out there/in the wardroom.
Will you be racing?
Rob.
(Ex crew E24 "Amber", now sailing on "Seahawk", Farr9.8)

Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep well, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and you will be saved.
Go to Top of Page

Chris M
Sheet Hand

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2011 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much racing experience, and the step from crew to skipper will take a little time to master, so will build up slowly!
Next step will be some renovations, including working out how to fit a wind indicator to the top of the mast.
Cheers,
Chris

"Livia" E28
Go to Top of Page

4Seasons
Helmsman

723 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2011 :  7:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,glad to see that you are retaining your intrest in the premier class, i'm still waking up each morning so lifes not too bad EH
Go to Top of Page

4Seasons
Helmsman

723 Posts

Posted - 06 July 2011 :  7:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,glad to see that you are retaining your intrest in the premier class, i'm still waking up each morning so lifes not too bad EH
Go to Top of Page

Robert Simmons
Helmsman

Australia
420 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2011 :  10:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gazoooks Ecka.....are you still alive?? Glad to hear you are well.
No need to post twice, I have binocular vision.
And you lot need monitoring dontchaknow?
Rob.

Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep well, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and you will be saved.
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 15 August 2011 :  9:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G,day Chris congrats on your new boat , dam nice looking vessel i hope you dont have too much work to do to her before you can enjoy her . I am wondering if you could measure your no 1 and no 2 head sail for me when you get time as i think that the sails that came with my boat a not quite right . Dulcibella also has a 10 hp kubota motor with a 2 bladed prop , i think she is a bit under powered i would be interested to know what you have driving your boat and if you are happy with it . Shame that we are so far apart it would be great to have the boats side by side so we could compare them , there are so few 28,s and nowhere near as much information as the 26ers , but in saying that i still think they are a fine vessel and i love mine . If there is anything i can help you with please ask . Cheers Taunto
Go to Top of Page

Chris M
Sheet Hand

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2011 :  4:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taunto,
Nice to meet you.
I don't think Livia came with any headsails, she has a furling headsail, but I'll check next time I'm down there.
The certificate of registration says the engine is a 'BUKH inboard 7.46KW' if that means anything to you. Seems powerful enough, although yet to take her in the ocean. The idle needs to be fixed as its either on full power or idling very slowly, but the previous owners have commited to fix it. She also has a 2 bladed prop. I've attached photos of both the engine and prop if that helps (http://www.flickr.com/photos/livia-e28).
Had a success last weekend in finally working out how to lower the mast to fit a wind vane on top - previously couldn't get the forestay pin out as apparantly wasn't slackening the backstay enough. So will probably have many questions as I progress through the various renovations, so you may be hearing from me soon...! Having said that it's mainly bits and pieces to be done, and are not getting in the way of some fun sailing.
Cheers,
Chris

"Livia" E28
Go to Top of Page

Robert Simmons
Helmsman

Australia
420 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  10:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, given that the "real" Endeavours are very similar, and excluding those barge ass 30's and the babies, you will find a wealth of knowledge in the E24 fleet at RPYC. Let me know if you need any advice or intros, some of the guys in the fleet have been sailing for over 30 years.
Rob.

Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  3:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barge ass 30's indeed? Chris, don't take too much notice of that old winno coffin sailor. In the East at every nationals we compete with the E27's & E28's in our own division, our boat beieg the infamous Hagar, an E30 mark 1.
It is surprising that there is not much difference in boat speed between the E24's right though to the E30's. It all depends on the sails and how well they are sailed in the conditions. The bigger boats go better in the fresher breezes. The champion E24, Dumeresq which sails with us at North Harbour Sailing Club in Sydney has recorded the fastest time in a heat at a Nationals and we have difficulty beating him in the light.
Enjoy your E28, they are nice boat and you will get a lot satisfaction sailing and learning how to make her a better boat.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Robert Simmons
Helmsman

Australia
420 Posts

Posted - 23 August 2011 :  4:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are ya Copey? Still biting I see.
Rob.

Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2011 :  10:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G,day Chris M Thanks for taking the time , i read back through the old posts on the e28's and i think it will help me sort out my sails, such a wealth of information . The photo's you posted of your new love are splendid and the prop looks to be the same as on Dulcibella( 24x10) in the photoit looks like you have a nylock nut on the end of your prop shaft without a split pin through it , its dammed inconvient to loose a prop just when you need it most , good move to check it and put one in . When my children come home i'll get them to help me post some photo's of Dulcibella for you have a look at as i am rapidly becoming an old codger and i still dont know how to drive this machine properly yet. Dulcibella's previous name was Electra and in our gallery there are some photo's of her befor i got her , i have'nt changed her that much, mainly fixed everything and simpleyfied the rig , changed the table and seating and built in some more storeage for food . Its nearly two years since i've owned Dulcibella and i'm learning more about her all the time . Will keep you posted. Cheers Taunto.
Go to Top of Page

Chris M
Sheet Hand

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2011 :  11:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taunto,
The surveyor recommended we put in a split pin on the prop, especially as the nut is only half on the shaft. He also recommended moving the prop back a few mm to allow water flow through the guide, as the prop is hard up against it. That's on the list for the first dry dock. I hope to get it sorted out by the summer, because the dream is sailing to rottnest island (20km offshore), and would like all systems fully functional before then!
Cheers
Chris

"Livia" E28
Go to Top of Page

Chris M
Sheet Hand

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2011 :  2:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taunto,
I also found another photo of the prop with a serial number on it which may be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/livia-e28
Cheers
Chris

"Livia" E28

Edited by - Chris M on 30 August 2011 2:52:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 08 September 2011 :  7:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris M , my son has come home from uni and helped me with flicka . There are now some photo,s of Dulcibella if you care to have a look and make some comparison with your Livia .
www.flicka.com/photos/67091994@n07 hope it works for you. It would be nice to know the names of all the e28,s that are still sailing and their where abouts i have made a small list of the one,s that have appeared in our forum over the years , i'll jot it down here, if anyone knows of any others please add to the list.

Livia
Solander
Stealaway
Second Fling
Scotch Mist
Bon Doobie
Elf
Moonlight Lady
Dulcibella

Cheers taunto
Go to Top of Page

Chris M
Sheet Hand

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2011 :  12:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taunto,
Thanks for posting the photos, they are a useful comparison. The link didn't work, but I searched for Dulcibella in Flickr and found them.
Her hull looks in great condition compared to ours which just has years of anti-fouling layers painted on.
Your engine does look different to ours. The previous owners fixed ours last week, so now she idles better, but similar to your experience, it doesn't seem to produce much power. It remains to be seen if we have enough power to exit the river mouth on an incoming tide with the mast down to fit under the bridge! One more obstacle to us getting to the Rottnest island dream!
It's good to see your split pin configuration on the prop, we'll try to replicate that arrangment.
I like the ladder configuration on the stern - something we were looking at putting in but were worried about messing with the rear railing. It looks like it fits nicely. Did you modify the railing to allow access to the ladder, or do you just step over it?
For your list, there is another E28 penned opposite us at RPYC - 'Risky 1', but we haven't met the skipper yet.
Had a nice sail this weekend - the summer seabreezes are just around the corner.
Cheers,
Chris

"Livia" E28

Edited by - Chris M on 12 September 2011 12:03:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2011 :  7:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris M.

G,day nice to see you have another E28 close by , i wonder how many were made in W.A. The ladder took a lot of researching and measuring head scratching and thinking about then one afternoon i was at Whitworths and there it was on special, it fitted easy and we step over the railing , not a drama (Whitworths is a large chandlerly on this side of Aust) .

Whitworth definition; a place you go and spend far more money than one should be alouded to carry in one,s pocket at any one time .

When i was buying Dulcibella in Gosford N.S.W. i met a fine gentle man by the the name of John Walton ,John owns a E30 the name of which escapes me , he had recently fitted her with a new motor, i think from memory it was a 20hp , but cant be sure , i did see him motoring down the bay and it looks to me to be about the right combination i would guess that he would be able to motor at about 7knots . the spec,s in the Blue Book say that the differance between the E28 and the E30 is only about 90kg so i think we are a little under powered with 10hp . My motor is a kubota and is sold as a 14hp but the people at austral claimed it was 10hp the differance being at 3000 rpm it was 10hp at 3600 it is 14hp , both motors have the same bore and stroke . I have a mate that has a Duncanson 29 which is a long keeler and weighs 4 and a half ton fitted with a 14hp volvo with clean bottoms i cant keep up with him ,he has a 2 blade prop like mine but we are both considerating fitting a three blader . Like you we also had a great sail last week end and we are hanging out for summer ,it seems to have a long winter this year . What i did notice is that like the good book says our boats like to be sailed upright ,i was going to windward in about 20knts being a bit gung ho when my dearly beloved whispered that it might be nice to reef a little , i pulled in half the no2 and would you belive we stood up straighter and increased our speed and the crew was much happyer . Same old story so much to learn so little time . cheers taunto
Go to Top of Page

Chris M
Sheet Hand

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2011 :  11:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taunto,
There was also another E28 recently for sale up at Hillaries Boat Harbour, but not sure of the name ( http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/endeavour-28/87502 ) .
I have read about the blue book you refer to on the forum - is it something worth getting, and if so, do you know where I can get a copy?
Cheers,
Chris

"Livia" E28
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 16 September 2011 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris M
Thanks for that , at least three E28's in W.A. , another fine looking craft with a different lay out inside to Dulcibella , I like the galley , wouldn't mind something like that on my old girl. This afternoon i went out to do some maintaince on Dulcibella and called in at the sail maker on the way, talked to him about the way my head sail is not setting properly , he knows of the sailmaker who made it and thinks that is the problem , so i'll take it into him when i get the time but from the way he spoke it will be a new one if i want it do the job properly. I guess its only money . Cheers Tony
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2011 :  7:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CHRIS M
regarding the Blue Book , for me it has been the source of much information and pleasure , it has spec's on all the different classes of endeavours , it has the road test on the first E28 , also tips on setting up rigging and how to sail endevours by some very famous sailors who cut their teeth on our boats . I bought my Blue Book when i owned an E24 then E26 and now Dulcibella , i think it would be a worthy addition to any endeavourites book collection , it sits on the shelf next to Patrick O'Brian , when im not rereading something or making notes in it .
Sometime ago I was given a box of old sailing magazines ( what a joy ) there was a copy of Australian Boating 1981 , inside the well thumbed covers there is a comparison between six centre cockpit local yachts of which the testers were Kay Cottee , Len Hedgers and Mike Davidson . The endeavour 32 was the smallest of the six tested but came out of the test as a very seaworthy boat if any of our E32 owners or prospective owners would like to read this let me know and i will try to post it for you. cheers tony t
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2011 :  5:58:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris M . i have just put the boat back into the drink after haveing her out for a rub and a scrub and three beautiful coats of altex no5 antifoul ,while she was out after much head scratching i fitted a new three blade propeller . I am aware that i will loose some speed when sailing but........ boy oh boy is this the answer to a maidens prayer,the 12hp motor handles it with ease and i have gained about 3 knotts , going against the tide towing a dinghy with a 15kt wind against us we did an easy 6.7kt on the Gps , its early days but i think now that the size of the motor will be fine. Prop size is 13x10 . cheers taunto.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.23 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06