New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2011 :  09:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris M .Thanks for the prop photo i'll give Austral a call and see if they can tell me what the spec,s are on your prop .Interesting little problem you have with the clearence , how are you going to go about fixing it , can you move the shaft down from the gearbox end or maybe turn a little off the hub of the prop , but if you did that there still doesn't look to be enough length in the shaft , i would say that some previous owner has had a problem further up the shaft and this is a stop gap way to solve the problem , I know its a pain in the butt but get it sorted properly befor your Rottnest trip .When i launched Dulcibella after the refit somehow i'd forgotton to tighten the grub srews in the flang that holds the the shaft to the gearbox , after about 10 min it came loose and i only just managed to stop it sliding out the stuffing box , i have since fitted a stainless steel hose clip on the shaft to be sure to be sure to be sure. Cheers Tony T

Chris M
Sheet Hand

Australia
26 Posts

Posted - 01 September 2011 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris M's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We were going to move the shaft down, but I daren't mess with the seals through the hull as don't know how hard they are to replace. Also as you know the shaft passes through guides below the floorboards (refer photos), and am not sure if it will be easy to re-clamp in a new place now the shaft is bedded in. Therfore we were hoping to take a few mm off the prop, but as you say that may not be enough, so we should get it done properly.. somehow.
Cheers
Chris

"Livia" E28
http://www.flickr.com/photos/livia-e28
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2011 :  7:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris M .......WOW your shaft is a lot different to mine , all your bearings ,it looks very high tech. Dullcibella,s prop shaft comes into the hull through a bracket the same as yours but where you have that lovely seal i have a dirty great length of 70mm hose leading all the way up to the stuffing box about 300mm away from the square steel surport post from there it goes to a flash red rubber type vibration fixer upper which bolts on to the end of the gearbox, much harder to line up than yours i presume but it seems to do the job , i will send photo,s when i can . Looking at the photo of your prop there dosen,t seem to be enough thread on the end for the nut , i may have this wrong from just looking at the pic's , but i thought you may be able to turn a recess in both sides of the prop to give you clearence on the brackett side and a little more thread on the other, of course once the the nut is removed you will see the hole where the split pin should go and judge it from there.Hope the weather is better at your place than ours tonight, damed cold here again . Cheers Tony T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.16 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06