New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2012 :  07:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been aware for some tme now that our sport brings us into contact with all sorts of wonderfull and sometimes famous people .
The other day i called into the boat yard at Huskissson to see some mates and catch up with the goss and have a look at all the boats that are out of the water , as i made my way up the line i came across a ferro 32 ft Atkin design dubble ender called Gryphon , this vessel belonged to Dr David Lewis of ice bird fame , it was his last boat .
The owner bought her off Mimi, David's partner and sailed the Pacific in her . I was taking photos of Gryphon and checking out her lines when Terry the yard owner came over for a chat , we disscussed the histroy of Gryphon and the amazing life of Davd Lewis when Terry told me that there was a pretty little 25footer tucked up in the corner of the yard where she couldnt be seen.
I made my way up to the corner of the yard and there sitting in her craddle was a Vitue 25 .
I have read of these famous boats that have circumnavigated but never ever seen one "WOW" what a beautiful boat ( her lines are almost as beautiful as an Endeavour ) now this is where i draw the long bow , DR David Lewis sailed a Vitue in the first solo trans Atlantic race , The other compeditors were Blondie Hassler of Cockelshell Hero's fame and Francis Chitchester .
These two yachts to me, brought alive some of our wonderful marine history plus teaching me a little more about yacht design , although not fin keelers they are both very sea worthy vessels that have recorded many thousands of sea miles.
Does anyone know what happened to Ice Bird , where she is or if she is still sailing .
I hope you dont mind my rambleings but i find that vessels like these almost speak of their voyages and like people have a historical conection to our daily lives. Cheer taunto
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.16 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06