Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Endeavour Classes
 E28's
 Compareing out boats to others of the era.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2012 :  7:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today i sailed down the coast from Greenwell pt. to Husskisson on a Duncanson 29 belonging to a mate of mine, this is the third time ive sailed on his boat over a some distance including a stint from the Gong to Callala.
We had beautiful weather with a 10 to 15 NE er to push us down the coast , and the sea state was fairly mild untill we got level with the cliffs off Old Mans Hat to the entrance of Jervis Bay .
This area is notorious for throwing up a confused sea, and today didnt disapoint , waves of 2 to 3 mts crashed into the cliff walls and then bounce back catching any boat that is slow enough in the middle , a bit like being caught in a washing machine, so stableity is tested in this particlar area. I have sailed this area in my E28 many times and i find it interesting to compare these two yachts of about the same age . The Dunc is a great boat with a huge reputation and i am not criticizeing the Dunc in any way this is an observation of how the two boats perform in this confused sea state .
The Dunc is a long keel rear skegg narrow beam handsome looking 4 ton glass yacht , the E28 is finn keel skegg hung rudder fat gutted 3 and a half toner ( and also handsome ) .
I find that the E28 is faster than the Dunc when we sail together in the bay , with most of the drive in the head sail i dont have reef my main as early as the Dunc , the Dunc will bury its rail fairly easly.
The E28 is more agile and steering is much easer than on the Dunc with quicker responce and more stablity when slipping down the face of those confused waves , the Dunc tends to roll from side to side making ones tummy feel quite queasy.
Both boats go to windward about the same, but the Dunc seems to have a softer ride through the bigger waves , the E28 has never slamed but i always feel as if she might , i think the Dunc takes a bit more water over the bow than the E28 but that could be because the sides are not as high as the E28 . Both boats are very comfortable small cruising boats with the E28 cockpit a bit bigger and easer to live with 4 people where th Dunc tends to be a bit small with the tiller taking up a lot of room, a wheel would give better seating for all crew. I know that both hulls are very thick and were made when builders put lots of glass in the hulls they were building , we have had both boats out on the hard and have found sections of both hulls over 15mm thick so they are build like the preverbal.
To sum this up , i like my E28 over the Dunc, sure the Dunc has a better finish inside but we have a lot more room , i like the way the E28 stays upright more than the Dunc and the ease of reefing the E28 main compared to the large main on the Dunc , the size of the cockpit is more to my size which is important to me when there is a few aboard .
You may not ever be in the situation where you have to make a choice between these two boats but there is not a week goes by with out some one asking me what i think of Endeavours , well i think Reg made a damm good boat that has lasted very well and was and is good value still to this day .
Cheers taunto

tallships
Main Sheet Hand

132 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2012 :  8:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good read. I wanted to go up to an e28 from my current e26 but the market is pretty dull at the moment.

Pat Marsh
e26 "Up Spirits"
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2012 :  7:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G,day Pat , big differance owning a E28 from a E26 ,but worth the effort i think .
The trouble with wanting to buy a E28 is that there was'nt many made, only about 15 I think , mine was the only one i've ever seen advertised so not a lot to choose from , I tried to make a list here a while ago but only managed about eight or nine boats , Chris Cope would have more of an idea of the numbers , but you never know when one will pop op for sale . I had a look at your profile and see that you are a sail master , sounds intersting what does a sail master do to while his time away .
Cheers taunto
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.2 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06