Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 EYAA (Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia)
 Tuning Tips
 solo steering - sheet to tiller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

mrtnlloyd
Deck Hand

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2014 :  04:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to set up my new E24 for solo or shorthanded sailing, at present it has transom mounted sheeting which I don't think I like as it does make the back hand very busy but I am unlikely to move it in the foreseeable future.

I have jury rigged a Rudder lock out of a cross cockpit sheet and a shock cord prussik knot to a hook under the rudder, essentially a Tillerman and seems to work as well.

What I am looking for is advice about sheet to tiller self steering or sailing hands off by balancing sail pressure against rudder pressure via a sheet from boom to tiller and shock cord from tiller to fixed point. I am beginning to have my doubts that this can be done in a 24 ft boat as any crew movement mucks up the balance although it may give some respite allow me to have a casual coffee from a flask (as I sail the Trade Winds of the lower Hawkesbury...).

Anyone with any experience or ideas on this or general solo setups?
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.3 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06