Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

In fact, handbags replica knows that the high imitation gucci replica handbags is very deep, mixed with fish and dragons, and there are many hermes replica handbags. It may be a of styles ranging from a few hundred to several thousand.
Unlike the thick inner volume of the pear head, this cheap hair extensions gives a feeling of warmth and beauty. When trimming, pay attention to the tail of the real hair extensions must be cut from high to low level, roll up and send it to have this effect. This hair style can be brushed out by a hair extensions dryer and a reel, and it is also possible to use no special hot.
 All Forums
 Endeavour Classes
 E30's
 A New E30
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 56

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2016 :  06:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We came away fairly pleased with the Hagar's race performance in the Nationals just run last weekend. There were no major failures and with only Rod & myself being from the old crew we had to recruit three new sets of hands. John Crawford formally helmsman off the Dumeresq as well as Rod's son Michael and Josh, a mate of Michael's out of 16 foot skiffs all performed well for their first race series aboard the Hagar.
In the off season we had had the mast out and all of the wire rig replaced. We also had the old mainsail luff track replaced as the old one was coming apart. This stiffened up the old stick and we now have a system where we pull back the baby-stay to the mast using a block and tackle system allowing quicker tacking upwind. The old boat is still and will always be slow on the go-a bouts due to her shape and weight. However it does help and with less foul-ups from ropes sticking or being caught. The new main traveler out-haul system which we installed as a last minute idea also worked really well, is smoother and more efficient.
There are some more minor changes to do and then we should be looking at some new heavyweight rags. We need a new number three jib as well as a new number two spinnaker.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 21 January 2016 :  02:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After last weekends North Harbour race I came away tired and sore. There was only Rod, John & myself aboard the Hagar and while we came second on handicap we struggled for lack of hands and did not carry a spinnaker on two occasions where we should have.
I also made some mental notes for some changes to allow for easier kite management.
Firstly the lower kite pole ring on the mast needs to be fixed as it slides up and down the mast when I'm trying to attach the pole end. We have two other rings which are on a slide with a stopper.
Secondly both the Kicker and Topping Lift clutches which are located with other halliard clutches on the starboard side need to be moved back the edge of the cabin top and to be within the skippers reach to be quickly released when we are dropping the kite by taking both sheets in one hand and release them together. It also removes the confusion for some of the crew.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 06 February 2016 :  04:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The upgrading and maintenance on the Hagar goes on as a work in progress. While the past year has seen an enormous amount achieved there remains lots to do.
The stripping back and replacement of the deck paint still goes on and we should also have the sides additionally painted. All of the deck fittings are now good with only the lower kite-pole ring on the mast to be fixed, but that is a no-brainer with one screw to be inserted to fix it in place.
Of concern at the moment is an oil leak which is slowly dripping into the bilge. We have not established the point on the engine from where it is coming from and we are looking at placing a mirror under the the engine to try and spot the source of the leak. The engine continues to run well and we just top up the oil regularly. We have owned the Hagar now for about eleven years and the engine was already in the boat when we purchased her.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2016 :  5:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some time now the Hagar's 10 HP Diesel engine has been dripping oil into the bilge and we could not see from above from where the oil was leaking. Over the past month the leak has increased and has become a worry to the extent that after last nights twilighter race at North Harbour the bilge was almost black.
Today Rod and Dave the Diver went down to the yacht and had a close look at the engine. The oil level was down and the oil appears to be coming from the front of the lower edge of the sump plate near the water pump. So we will be passing the problem across to our mechanic tinkerer, Andy. Now Andy may or may not do the required work. The other alternative is to have a marine mechanic do the job. It will most likely entail the engine being lifted out and the holes in the sump plate being filled with filler or being replaced if possible.
Other wise the engine is running sweetly and we have just recently tightened the drip-less stern gland and fixed a leaking cooling pipe.
Isn't it good to have something for the retired boys to keep them occupied and off the streets.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2016 :  02:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod got onto Andy Eaton, one of the Hagar Partners and official mechanic. Now Andy is another retiree and as such is always busy traveling and or playing golf somewhere. Anyway, he and Rod will be looking at the Hagar's engine next Tuesday so we should have some more detailed news on the prognosis.
Meanwhile we have unfortunately scorched our plans to race in the Bob Brown off shore race with the Ammeters Sailing Club on the Thursday before Easter. We always try and sail this race as a last hurrah to the sailing season. The race starts around Shark Island and finishes at the Basin on Pittwater. While we have never been at the winning end of this race we have improved our results and handicap in the last few years and it is a good race.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 17 March 2016 :  03:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Tuesday of this week Andy, Rod & myself went out to the Hagar on her mooring and inspected the oil leak. Well, Andy did most of the investigation while Rod & I watched as well as did some other work on the topsides.

Andy confirmed Dave-the-divers prognosis that their was an oil leak coming from just below the raw-water (salt) pump. There was a lot of oil contamination in the area with a little bit of water also leaking from the pump. Andy believes that the pump which is driven by the engine is most likely the culprit and as this pump is very old and that the screws which hold the plate on the pump are badly damaged as well as the pump being heavily corroded that we should replace the complete pump unit. Now the oil leak may alternatively be coming from the engine sump tray seal.

Andy has since procured a new pump and will be installing it this Friday and we will also do an oil and filter change and clean up all of the oil contamination. After which we will keep a close watch for any further leaks. If it is not the pump leaking we will lift the engine out at the finish of the racing season, two weeks after Easter and send the engine to be professionally serviced.

In the meanwhile Rod and I replace an broken block and shock cords as well as removing the old safety buoy wire hangers attached to the stern rails. We have a new and simpler and cleaner system which makes the stern area cleaner and less complicated.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 21 March 2016 :  08:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friday afternoon saw us working on the Hagar again and it took a short tine to remove three of the main bolts holding the raw water pump to the engine but the last bolt was more difficult to remove taking some hours of persuasion.
The following morning Andy and I went down to the Hagar and got the last bolt off and the old and heavily corroded pump and it came off. We then had the problem of installing the new pump. If the engine was not in it's position down in the bilge over the keel but was on a stand where we could work around it easily there would have been far less problems.
And so it took many more hours to get the new pump back on the engine. Andy ended up finishing the job on his own and got it all working well. The last bolt refused to go on and he had to use a smaller gauged bolt.
The next morning when we motored out to race the engine purred like new and it is running better than I can recall.
We still have to clean the engine and bilge of the oil contamination as well as replace the engine cut-off cable which was broken when we disconnected it from the motor.
We will then watch for any further leaks and if this has all been a wasted effort then the engine will come out of the boat. However this may be possible as Andy discovered that it only weighs 98 kilos.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 11 April 2016 :  12:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod rang last night to inform me that the Hagar's diesel engine dropped it's oil into the bilge on Sunday afternoon in a major way. It appears that the leak which we had hoped we had fixed was not the water-pump. So it is back to the drawing board and in all probability the engine will now have to come out of the boat and go off to be fixed. It well could be only the sump seal or some other minor problem. However, it could be very expensive and and the ammeters will just have to step aside now.
The engine has been running sweetly since the water pump was replaced.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2016 :  04:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Late in the day I met Rod and handed over the oil extraction pump so that he can clean up the oil in the bilge and sump. He was not happy Jan because on Sunday he had cleaned the bilge out as well as the sump.
Anyway in the morning he had the Davis Marina Engineer check out the Hagar's engine. His diagnosis was that she has blown the sump seal on the starboard side. He estimates that it will cost between $2,500 to $3,000 to be fixed the motor coming out of the boat, ouch!!
We will also get a quote off or Middle Harbour Shipwright, Tim Wonderlich whom has been very good over years with the Hagar. Good now that Rod is retired, while Andy is sailing up to Qld. doing a delivery.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2016 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further developments concerning the Hagar's engine are ongoing and Rod with Andy will be looking more closely at the boat tomorrow as well as talking with the engineers. We face a number of decisions.

Firstly the existing 10HP Volvo which has been quite reliable, but has always been under-powered and in a number of situations we have been held back and missed starts and races because the motor could not bush the boat into a big headwind. This could be dangerous if we ever got caught offshore and we have canned attending races due to the weather and our inability to get us home.

Secondly we are looking at at least a bill of $7,500.00 to re-build the old 10HP engine.

Thirdly, this could spiral out further and the engine may blow up further down the track.

Fourthly a new 20HP Volvo would be lighter than the existing 10HP. They are currently on Special because of the boat show, but could cost up to $12,000.00.

We also have to weigh up the alternative scenarios of would we just sell the boat and upgrade to something faster? We agree that another bigger boat would just cost more to maintain and we would no longer be racing at the Endeavour regattas. Rod has been sailing them for 20 plus years and myself for about 12 years.
Also the old Hagar is still a very strong and sound boat and shows no signs of deterioration of the hull or decks.
So it remains that the boat is worth spending money the on.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 25 April 2016 :  07:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After re-examining the shot engine Andy & Rod met with the Engineer from Davis Marina and also spoke with others regarding the Hagar's 10 hp Volvo Diesel engine on Friday. The outcome is that they have placed an order for a new 20 hp Volvo which we hope will be installed in the next couple of weeks. Because of the recent Sydney Boat Show this particular engine is on special and will cost us just under $10K. However there are still the costs of removal of the old engine and installation of this new one as well as all the alterations with the electronics as well as the plumbing. So we will all be putting our hands on our pockets for around $4K each.
Rod was also persuaded by Graham McPherson's comment that he would have installed a new motor instead of doing the full service on his existing engine if he had the choice again. It also means that we have the confidence of being able to steam home from anywhere, as the 10 hp will not push the Hagar onto a big wind and sea.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  4:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no good news yet on our new 20 hp diesel for the Hagar. They were still trying to source one last week and today Rod tells me that they were awaiting the final payment which had been screwed up by the electronic banking. However our motor is reported to be in Brisbane and we hope to have it sometime next week. But I'm not holding my breath. It should come together quickly after next week.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2016 :  3:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod reported yesterday that the Marina should be taking delivery of our new motor today but I'm guessing and hoping that it arrives tomorrow in time to be installed next week and we can test it out over the following weekend.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  04:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new Volvo 20hp diesel for the Hagar arrived on Monday and Rod & myself checked it out on the Davis Marina workshop floor late in the afternoon. Yesterday Rod went down and cleaned the bilge out and especially the spot below where the engine sits. The engineer had bought the Hagar into their work berth and removed the old 10hp engine and lifted the new one into the companionway.
Rod discovered an additional small sump up forward in front of the old engine. It was full of sludge and fittings which have been washed down into the bilge over the years. We were not aware of it's presence as the forward hand pump has never been used and logically this sump was the sucking pick-up point. Rod has now cleaned it all out and the new engine should be positioned and installed in the next few days.
We hope that the plumbing and electrical work is also finished this week so we can go motoring this coming weekend, but it may be longer.
The new 20hp engine is about the same weight as the old 10hp and is about 30mm longer and the engineer says that it should go straight in and that the original shaft and propeller should also be good with the new motor doing an additional 2,000 revs.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  06:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod rang me last night with the news that the Hagar's new engine has now been installed and they took her for a short test run. There are still some small adjustments to be made as well as the warranty details to be given to us. However Rod, who was on board the Hagar during her test run, sail that the motor went well and felt to have more power. We will not know if there is more speed until we test her with the Log installed. We still have to install a new inspection hatch in floor in front of the mast so as to be able to sponge out our newly found sump.
We will also be lifting the old cockpit floor carpet and replacing it with a plastic non-skid floor covering.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 03 June 2016 :  04:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday afternoon was the first opportunity for myself to check-out the Hagar's new Volvo 20-HP diesel engine. It is now fully installed and looks and runs great! It looks lower and squatter in appearance than the old motor. The old foam engine box cover is slightly tight and rubs on the aft end so when we bought her into the marina wharf we took the cover over off and cut one end face of the box off with a jig saw. Now this engine cover box is one of my creations and is made from Termanto one inch thick marine foam with epoxied Kevlar on the outside and a layer of fiber glass on the inside. It is extremely strong and light. After re-fitting it was found to only need to be extended by an inch or the thickness of the foam on the aft end for a snug fit.
Rod had already installed an additional inspection hatch on the cockpit floor forward of the mast step so that we can access the newly found little sump and the hand pump.

I found the new engine to be quiet and very smooth with no vibration and little noise. But the power is wonderful with the bow lifting at around 2,800 revs and while we did not have the Sat Navigation instruments on board the hull was cutting through the water at a speed well in excess of 5.5 knots which was the top speed achieved with the old motor in flat water and with a clean bottom. These speeds and power was maintained as be motored into a southerly sea near the Sound.

There is still a lot of work to be done with the deck painting to be finished and I will take the engine cover home and extend the aft end over the weekend.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2016 :  09:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday afternoon I joined Rod aboard the Hagar which he had bought into the marina wharf. He had washed out the bilge and was contemplating the future jobs. We decided upon the increased size of the old foam engine box and I took it home to make the slight additions on the back vertical face. This will be only a one and a half inch at the base and taper up to the top. At a later stage I will build a new plywood box incorporating a removable table top. I also retrieved the third floor board which buts up and under the engine box. This will need to be replaced with the holes for the exhaust and air intake pipes allowed for.
We then went for a motor around North Harbour and measured the hull speed at varying revolutions both with and against the wind. We were cruising easily around 6-knots @ 2500 revs and could run with the wind between 6 to 7 knots as well as achieving up to 7.8-knots. Going into the wind and chop we cruised easily around 5-knots and did not wind her out at all. These speeds were in no way achievable with the old engine. And the bottom is not clean!
And if the power ever comes back on at home I will get to work on the box and floor-board.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2016 :  1:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weekend saw Rod & I pottering about at home as well as visiting the secondhand boat locker at Warriewood & Whitworths on Monday morning. The engine box is now glued together after some delays due to a bad batch of epoxy which was my fault. Tonight I will remove the pins and sand it back and then fill the holes with epoxy bog after which I will glass both sides of the new rear facing panel. Then fill and paint. On Monday afternoon we bought the Hagar into the marina work berth and continued with the clean-up. Not enough time for a motor and finished up at the club for a beer.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2016 :  10:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hagar's engine box is looking good but just needs another wipe of bog filler and a final coat of paint. It fits over the engine nicely and with the new floor board behind the motor the noise of the motor is greatly reduced to a fraction of the old motor.
We took her for a run late on Saturday and with a very slimy bottom and some weed growth the boat slips though the water at well over any speeds achievable under the old 10HP Volvo engine.
We continue to work on the boat most weekends and still have a lot of work to do to her until she is up to the standard we require. But with Rod now retired he just keeps at it and the boat continues to improve.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 12 September 2016 :  10:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hagar was slipped over the weekend and this morning Rood along with his forward-hand, Bec, the dog motored the Hagar back to her mooring in North Harbour. Rod & Myself spent most of the weekend cleaning the sides and then anti-fouling the bottom. We replaced the anodes and she is looking good for a big season of racing & cruising.
Rod claims that she was averaging 5-knots @ 2,500 revs from the new 20HP Volvo engine.
We will now begin work on the rig looking at sailes and set-up.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 56 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06