Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2005 :  6:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it is a huge lightweight code zero type of spinaker. Rod has another which they had for the E26, which they never got to use & it is under the house too.
They had two Pink Kites on the Hagar II (E26), which were beautiful kites. The biggie won three nationals & the new small pinky they never got to use & it is still in the bag brand new & all went with the sale of the E26.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Sasha
Helmsman

838 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2005 :  7:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someday someone is going to need to explain what the urge is to make one's spinnaker the most revolting choice of colours imaginable (especially against the colour of the hull and such). It seems that spinnakers are a form of psychological warfare against other crews in a race...If you can actually indice nasea then you gain time on them or something.

Sandringham has two truly special spinnakers in its fleet of big yachts. One is pink with a grey outlined green swirling spiral and the other is TARTAN! (black, yellow and red picnic blanket type tartan).

I know the rainbow monstrocities form the 70's were something to behold....but that was the 70's....we are supposed to have outgrown that, right?

:)

Sasha

_
The more I know about horses, the more I love sailboats.
Go to Top of Page

LCJOHNSTON
Helmsman

Australia
258 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2005 :  07:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was lucky enough to be in the lead group of 5 on a kite run up on one of the Hammo races recently - I can tell you that looking back at 95 kites chasing you is a real wall of colour! As Sasha says, there must have been every hue of psychological warfare in that bunch!

Leigh Ex E30 MkII "Caroline" Hobart
Go to Top of Page

akeir
Helmsman

Australia
269 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2006 :  01:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to use a Blooper on the S&S34 I used to race.

It has a very narrow wind angle range from almost dead downwind to about .. oh about 30 deg off being dead down wind.. (This was years ago .. I stopped racing S&S34,s about 20 years ago)..

It is measuered as a headsail and is flown at the same time as a spinaker. It is made from spinnaker fabric, so hopefully matches your spinakker in colours.

The idea is that you have your spinaker up on the windward side of the boat and your Blooper up on the other side. It made life very interesting.

You must have a very saggy halyard and try and allow the sail to get as far away from the spinaker as possible, almost allowing the foot to drag along the top of the water. You almost need someone triming the halyard as well as the sheet. The other critical thing was that you must trim it by the leach not the luff, as the air flow is from the leach to the luff, the opposite direction from all other sails.

You also had to be prepared to raise and lower it often, which wasn't such a big hassle because there was no spinaker pole, but the sail can suddenly become a sea anchor if allowed to drag too low. (We had to sticky tape up our blooper off the East Coast of Tasmania after one such incident on the Great Circle Race .. the sticky lasted amazingly well.. the sailmaker didn't even try and repair it any better)

With most modern racing boats going to fractional rigs the bloopers don't seem to appear anymore. Also sailors are much more tuned these days to sailing for apparent wind and avoiding the need to hoist a circus tent to get downwind sail area.

I have a picture somwhere of us flying our blooper on Eastern Morning on a Melbourne to Hobart. If I can find it I will post it...

I don't know how much of a difference it made. I suspect all the effort that went into flying the blooper took attention away from setting the kite to it's optimum. Other schools of thought were that it helped to balance the loads on the boat to reduce the chance of rounding up.

Any way it was a lot of fun to sail with .. Oh one other thing. NEVER TRY AND GYBE A BLOOPER...It will only end in tears, that is tears that the sailmaker must fix..

Cheers

Andrew

Owner of Charissa
Pictures at http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s255/akkeir/Charissa/

Edited by - akeir on 05 June 2006 7:47:57 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.19 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06