Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2005 :  09:43:00 AM  Show Profile
My suggestions for changes to the web site are:

1. That we have a click on button which provides the names & address as well as email addresses of the Endeavour Committee. This would allow members to contact them as well as allowing visitors to know who is steering the ship so to speak.
2. That you provide a system where new members, like myself can pay any membership fees, racing & entrance fees for Regattas & National titles etc., as well as purchases, such as the blue book, t-shirts & so on, dirctly into an account via our cards. ie, a direct credit service.

Chris Cope

doc
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
146 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2005 :  10:14:18 PM  Show Profile
My suggestion for changes to the website is that you take off the 'a work in progress' notice. All websites that serve a 'community' are continually developing, it doesn't need to be said, and after a few months it looks a bit naff.

Photos of the month would have been a great idea, pity it doesn't seem to be supported by members. But then I guess I'm as guilty there as anybody. How about just calling it 'photo gallery', then it doesn't matter if there aren't additions every month. The site looks out of date to the casual visitor when the latest 'photo of the month' is last year.

Please don't think I'm whingeing: this is a great site. I think though that those couple of cosmetic things are easy to fix.

I've done a little bit of website design, and I know what a pain it is to update sites regularly. I'm strongly in favour of making life as easy as possible for our webmaster. After all, the forums are the core of this site, not any add-ons, fun though they might be.

I suspect that the payment online thing isn't realistic for the Endeavour Association. The alternatives are to do a full-blown e-commerce site (horribly expensive to set up, security is a nightmare, you need a merchant account with Visa, etc. etc.) or to go through an agency like PayPal (relatively simple, but they take a cut of each payment). And who's going to administrate the whole thing? Difficult enough to get people to volunteer for committee posts as it is.

I reckon in this case, 'less is more'. Keep up the good work, guys!

Would be great to have the specs/history of the different Endeavour yachts on the site though. I've been looking forward to that ever since I started visiting the site.

Steve

Steve (Echo)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Go to Top of Page

hools
Sheet Hand

25 Posts

Posted - 27 January 2007 :  7:44:20 PM  Show Profile
What a fantastic web site, very helpful.
I was wondering if its not too much hassel to have a 'Gallery' section where boats can be shown off by proud owners.
There may actually be one already that I havent found yet...

Julian
Go to Top of Page

Webmaster
Administrator

Australia
215 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2007 :  07:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Webmaster's Homepage  Send Webmaster an ICQ Message
Hi Julian ...

A Gallery is available by clicking here ... the gallery will be fully available to everyone once the new home page is deployed - soon.

If you have difficulty submitting your photo just email it to me and I will include it in the gallery.

Regards ...
John
Go to Top of Page

LCJOHNSTON
Helmsman

Australia
258 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2007 :  08:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Maybe a seperate section where you can click on the type of boat design (E24, E30 etc'), then under that be able to select individual boats names to access a few photos and a write up on each boat? Might help prospective and new owners see what can/has been done to each type of boat and make ownership more attractive as there is an even better way of contacting the people who have already done the work.

Leigh Ex E30 MkII "Caroline" Hobart
Go to Top of Page

Splinter
Helmsman

Australia
500 Posts

Posted - 30 January 2007 :  9:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Splinter's Homepage
I would think Leighs idea is great. I also would suggest make it as easy to submit photos, tales, stories and also reports on improvement & restorations.
It has be my experience that I could not submit photos "I just do not know how !" me, I am a computer idiot. I have plenty of photos to share.
cheers,

"Splinter"
Go to Top of Page

Webmaster
Administrator

Australia
215 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2007 :  06:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Webmaster's Homepage  Send Webmaster an ICQ Message
Kevin ...

As I said - If you have difficulty submitting your photo just email it to me and I will include it in the gallery.

Regards ...
John
Go to Top of Page

hools
Sheet Hand

25 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2007 :  8:55:59 PM  Show Profile
When I go to the gallery, it appears empty, no photos? Am I looking in the right place?
Go to Top of Page

Webmaster
Administrator

Australia
215 Posts

Posted - 04 February 2007 :  07:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Webmaster's Homepage  Send Webmaster an ICQ Message
At present there are only photos under E32 (Pegasus).

John
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2008 :  4:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Hullo there John,
Just about every day our "visitors" seem to enjoy attaching all sorts of "nasty" web addresses and other nasty stuff. I not that you must spend a lot of time deleting their rubbish, so is there any way of keeping them out of the system?
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

44 Posts

Posted - 21 August 2008 :  7:19:42 PM  Show Profile
ahoy there chris!

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to stop the nasty spamming that goes on all over the internet including our site; mostly done with robots.

However, I am currently developing the new site ... home page, gallery, upgrade of the forum with new security features, and other areas; I will also be implementing CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Turing Test To Tell Computers and Humans Apart)in some areas which should reduce the amount of robot driven posts and member registrations significantly. This may cause concern to some members posting but in the long run will be beneficial to all members and visitors of the site.

You would have seen CAPTCHA in use (where you have to enter something to verify you are human); or visit this site http://www.captcha.net to have a read.

[:-boggled] Thanks for your concern of my welfare! ... fortunately I don't read any of it ... though I am learning some interesting usernames.
[:-pirate]
Regards ...
John
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 22 August 2008 :  12:21:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for that John,
I did not know about the robot stuff! Amazing!
As my old granmother used to say,
"they should be taken out and flogged".
Or we could wait until the end of the season and just keel haul them along the length of the Hagar when she has some barnicles.
PS: My Grandmother was decended from a whaler who plied the seven seas until coming to the Victorian gold rush and was involved at Eureka.

Keep up the good work John.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.08 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06