New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2005 :  8:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a topping lift at the top rear of the mast.

Nothing unusual but i can't work out what it is for.

The problem is that it hangs out the rear of the mast approx 6" on a block.

With the halyard running up to the block it covers the top of the mainsail at an angle from about 1.5m from the top of the mast,so this would have some effect on sail shape.

Could someone explain why you would have this topping lift.

David.

If vegeterians love animals, why do they eat their food?

Sasha
Helmsman

838 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2005 :  10:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen a topping lift come out on a bridge from an endeavour mast before. It is running up the inside of the mast, coming out of the sheave at the top and then going out to a block held out on an arm? Have I got that correct?

It may be that someone modified the topping lift to run as a trysail halyard. Is there a seperate track running vertically up the mast? That would be the dead give-away.

Our topping lift just exits the sheave next to the mainsail halyard. Very useful and nifty thing to have.

Sasha

_
The more I know about horses, the more I love sailboats.
Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2005 :  10:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David,
It might be a flag halyard. Then it should be led down the side of the mast.
Adrian
Go to Top of Page

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2005 :  6:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a seperate topping lift altogether.

There is a topper and downhaul for the spinnaker pole, but this is weird one.

I have just drawn a quick picture,the solid line is at rest, it starts of at a cleat in the cockpit runs up the cabin roof to a block then up the outside of the mast to the block at the top of the mast and it does run to the outside of the block and around anti-clockwise back to the boom.

Under sail i cleat it off at the mast, but you can get the idea how it's resting on the mainsail on starboard tack.

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] IMAGE004.JPG
21.4 KB

David

Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2005 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David,
If it is a topping lift as you suspect I guess you could leave it loose once the main is raised and then it should not interfere with the main.
Adrian
Go to Top of Page

Splinter
Helmsman

Australia
500 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2005 :  8:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Splinter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dav, as Adrian has suggested just sheet it off about the base of the mast. It then won't interfer with anything. from what you describe it could be a flag halyard ( what size of cord is the halyard ?) I would think either the same as Sasha a halyard for a trisail, or possibably a seperate halyard for going aloft when all other halyards are in use. The reason ????
I think it could be a great halyard for spinnaker sailing, you know when you use a spinaker with the bosens chair and dunk the uninitated. Great fun.
cheers,

"Splinter"
Go to Top of Page

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2005 :  10:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try leaving it just loose enough as not to touch the main, but hopefully not interfere with anything else.

And thanks for the idea Kevin, the kids could use it as a tarzan swing and i have got somewhere to raise the flag on Australia day.

David.

Go to Top of Page

4Seasons
Helmsman

723 Posts

Posted - 04 August 2005 :  10:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i see it the topping lift at the rear of the mast is vital for supporting the boom when reefing the main !!!!!!....
Go to Top of Page

doc
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
146 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2005 :  07:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my 26, the topping lift is fixed, i.e. it runs from the end of the boom to the end of the horizontal thingy (bridge or whatever you want to call it) at the top of the mast, where there's a bolt which holds it in place. It doesn't then run back down to the deck. To release the topping lift, you unclip it from the end of the boom (and then wonder where to put the damn thing). Clipping the topping lift back onto the boom in a choppy sea is, well, interesting ...

Perhaps Bon Doobie originally had that arrangement and a previous owner has 'improved' the system by running the topping lift back down to the deck via a block at the masthead. But for some reason he didn't want to lead the topping lift down the inside of the mast via a sheave at the masthead.

Just guessing!

Steve (Echo)

Steve (Echo)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Go to Top of Page

Tony Bright
F'ore'ard Hand

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2005 :  12:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tony Bright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave

Mist has a fixed topping lift with a small block setup with a clip at the boom to lengthen it if required. Otherwise it just hangs when the main is hoisted. Our main halyard also goes back to the end of the boom when not in use.

Tony
Go to Top of Page

Sasha
Helmsman

838 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2005 :  1:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could always go over to a rigid vang that will support the weight of the boom and completely lose the topping lift.

There are a few good models available, and they are not too expensive. There is no need to go for the hydraulic versions designed for much bigger boats. There are some nice fully sleaved ones that have the ropes and tackle internally and lock off the sliding mechanisms to support the boom (maybe 500grams heavier then the current all-rope system).

Might be worth investigating for people who find their toppers to be an annoyance.

Our E26 has the topping lift come out of the mast sheaves right next to the halyard and the tail is lead back to the cockpit like pretty much everything else. It just gets eased once the main is up. (our masthead has four inbuilt sheaves. two forwards, two back, and a bridge thingy for a spinaker block).

Sasha

_
Go to Top of Page

Splinter
Helmsman

Australia
500 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2005 :  6:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Splinter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yah, Sasha that's normal, 2 Headsails forward, and aft one main sail, and one topper for the boom.
The spinnaker is seperate and higher than the other halyards to seperate them.
From what Dav is saying there is another halyard which is an extra. Yes ??
I hope Dav will bring the boat down to Port Hacking and we can have a good look.
By the way we going Cruising on Sunday, check out www.rmyc-porthacking.com.au/hello.trim/Coming%20Events.htm
we are going to have a great weekend,
Cheers Endearourerer's I hope a few can join us.

"Splinter"
Go to Top of Page

Colin Cole
Helmsman

Australia
676 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2005 :  7:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bridge thingy = mast head crane. (todays useless info) :)
Go to Top of Page

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2005 :  7:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the main halyard back at the boom aswell like mist and most others.

There is more halyards and stuff up front than i can poke a stick at.

Just a thought but could this be used in light air to take the weight of the boom to give a better sail shape on the main? or is this a dumb thought.

I just need to get out in some good breeze to get everything up and running, the past few weeks in Sydney has been pretty lame on wind factor.

David.

Go to Top of Page

Sasha
Helmsman

838 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2005 :  8:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally what you describe is done by loosening the vang. If there is not enough breeze to lift the weight of your boom a couple of inches, there is not enough to move your boat.
:)

Colin, I do not doubt for a second that you have forgotten more then I am likely to know any time in the next decade...But my understaning is that the masthead crane was specifically the thing that allows the backstay to be attached behind the masthead and thus allow room for a greater sail roach. I understood it to be a term used specifically for that bit of standing rigging hardware. The "bridge" is a flat stainless strap bolted to the top of the masthead, and with a hole at the end large enough to allow the pin on a pivoting block's shackle. It has no purpose other then this, and is not attached to any of the stays. Is it still called a masthead crane? I admit my terminology of calling it a bridge is simply what I heard it called by the boatyard guy that managed to get it hooked into his T-shirt while we were carying the mast around. I just adopted the name from there.

Thanks.

Sasha

_
Go to Top of Page

doc
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
146 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2005 :  9:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The masthead crane is what I was talking about. Thought it must have a name other than 'horizontal masthead thingy' :-) Thanks for that info Colin.

Steve

Steve (Echo)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Go to Top of Page

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2005 :  8:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok i worked it out today.

It is a topping lift for the boom, but what i think has happened is the previous rope has broken and they have not been able to run it through the mast so they have run it outside, which is quicker but gives me the problem of interfering with mainsail slightly.

So today i let it hang free of the main and it didn't catch on anything, well that was in a blustery 0-4kts.

David.

Go to Top of Page

Sasha
Helmsman

838 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2005 :  11:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think of how much fun you can have mousing a cord down the mast form a bosun's chair and running a new halayrd/topping lift through the slot it is supposed to go through!

:)

I have only done it on a nice sheltered mooring. With the assistance of a friend who reminisced about having to perform the same task on his 38footer, about 40nm south of Wilson's Prom, in the dark.

Sasha

_
Go to Top of Page

Tony Bright
F'ore'ard Hand

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2005 :  3:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tony Bright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of course you can just swage about 4' (1 metre) of wire onto the backstay and swage a hook onto the other end for your NEW Topping lift.

Tony
Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 08 August 2005 :  5:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tony,
The system you describe does not work when reefing in a gale.
Adrian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.11 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06