New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 09 March 2010 :  07:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day to all my fellow E28 owners,I haved trucked Electra, or as she will be in the future Dulcibella, from Gosford to Huskission and into the boat yard .
The refit seem to be getting bigger all the time with more nasty,s found as i explore the depths of the hull , i have removed the engine striped it and found nasty holes in both pistons ,the exhust flange had growen on the inside and instead of being 40mm it was closed up to about 8mm ,it would been very hard to start like this and i presume the liberal use of areo start stuffed the pistons , if you have a Kubota based motor check your exhaust flang it could save you a expencive repair.
All the blige pumps have been removed and made useable and the blige has been cleaned ,can now see white gel coat on the bottom, what a terrible dirty ,messy, ****ty job it was .
Have removed compression post and all the the other bits of the jigsaw upto and including the chain plates, i cut the compression post foot out of the glass and made a new one as its days were long gone ,it had rusted in parts down to half its thickness .
Removeing the prop shaft was intersting with rusted bolts but finaly it came out and i then removed the stuffing box to check it out, only to find a substance that may have been a fibre of some type once apon a time .
I am in the process of removeing all the old electric's and patching up the holes in the hull , point of intrest the hull measure's 12mmm thick, Reg sure made them strong, i have tighten up all the keel bolts and put new plates under some ,they were all loose ,when i get to the outside i will put a glass bandage around the join like on the 26's .
There are lots of deck leaks to attend to and windows to replace but in the main she's fairly sound . There are a cupple of questions i would like to ask my fellow endeavourites ,for all the pulling and poking and removeing i cannot find where the refill point is for the metho stove ,Dullcibella is a factory fitout so im hopeing that one of the E28 , E30, owners will have the same set up.
The other question is the stuffing box, i have spoken to people who have fitted PSS seals and been very happy with them and likewise have spoken to a gentleman who nearly lost his vessel when the seal failed , i would like to hear your thoughts on this subject , at $500 one needs to be sure of the benefit .
Cheers Taunto

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 09 March 2010 :  11:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Taunto,
Sounds like you are getting down and dirty enjoying all the fun. My plain advice is to do everything the best that you can afford. Money and time are the enemy, while the mistake that you will possibly make is to cut too many corners.
The material in the stern gland is possibley the remnants of a greasy rope which can be purchased from Whitworths and should be replaced every year or so. We have a grease nipple above the stern gland into which we pumped marine grease after a day of hard steaming and which stops the stern gland leaking when on the mooring. The new drip-less gland leaks we suspect.
We religiously tighten the keel bolts when she is sitting on her keel.
Old boats normally means old and poor wiring and therefore the electricals are always suspect and while most have been replaced on the Hagar we still find more to replace.
Throw out all the old lights and replace them with the new low-voltage LED’s inside and out. The new LED globes are excellent.
Yes Endeavours are “BUILT”, the build quality is excellent and if we do the maintenance they should outlast most of the new production models. The E24 Dumaresq was salvaged before going to the tip and is now the current three time National title holder.
Hagar, like her owners is very thick skinned and John from Lake Macquarie says that there are spots on his boat where the glass is four and more inches thick. I think it was in the after part of the keel behind the fin. Our skin below the waterline is at least around 12mm thick and maybe more.
The metho stove on Hagar has a small tubular tank behind the stove with a screw off/on at the top. Make shore that you have a fire extinguisher next to the galley/stove area. We have had two small stove related fires and a metho fire while a very pretty blue colour is most unsettling and can ruin your day.

Keep up the good work and you should make it to the Nationals next year on Botany Bay.
Regards,
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2012 :  08:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hullo Hullo, all you happy little endeavourites,i know what an intelligence bunch you are ,so again i am asking for you advice .

The time has come for me to start planing the recovering of the cushions in Dulcibella .

The foam and covering that Reg used has lasted extreamly well and all, but the pointy end bunk is still comfortable for sittig on but not for sleeping .

Maybe old bones need a little more underneath now so i am looking for a little more padding.

What i want to know is , have you replaced your cushions ,have you used high density foam and how do you rate it from a comforte point of view. And what type of covering have you used and are you happy with it.

I enjoy sleeping on my boat , but i would like to get a little more comfort from the mattress .
Cheers taunto

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.06 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06