Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2012 :  1:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI to all Endeavourites,on the night of the 5th of june the south
east low hit Jervis Bay and the swell rolled around right into Callala Bay where some hundred boats are moored ,the damage has been huge not only to the environment but to the moored vessels of which 11 ended on the hard , some on the sand ,some on the rocks and some up the creek .
About the same number of dinghys were distroyed.
The yachts that were badly damaged were a Seawind cat a 25ft tri and a steel 30ft that had come from Germany.
We have in our little group at Callala 4x E24,s, 2xE26,s and 1x E28 our fellow con tributer Graham Watson,s E24 GRACE was one of the boats that landed on the beach,i had a look at her yesterday and i think she is not too badly damaged
.The big problem as i see it will be getting the boats back to the water line much huffing and puffing and spending on eath moveing equiptment.
I have not seen the offical swell records yet but i am told that it was between 4 and 6 meters i checked the point perp wind records and they reported gust up to 45 knots .
So my friends ckeck your mooring lines as these lows move in quickly and hit very hard ,there is another predicted for sunday night . cheers Taunto.

Graeme Watson
Helmsman

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 08 June 2012 :  7:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, my boat Grace4u is laying on the beach next to the car park were it should be picked up and put on a trailer and be taken to a ship wright for assessment. It is not looking good The bank collapsed where it beached itself and pined it down in the center so when the swell pounded her she was side on and being held in the center was forced around the sand and trees that were up to the top of the cabin. she is cracked from the toe rail to the keel. I have just spent the day getting her from this position to the car par were she can be taken away.The crack was only evident once the boat was lifted. I feel very depressed. I now have to wait for the insurance decision.
Graeme

Edited by - Graeme Watson on 08 June 2012 7:49:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2012 :  06:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Grahame,
Sorry to hear about your Grace. How did she come away from her mooring? Did the mooring line break, the mooring shift or was there a deck fitting failure?
We have had the Hagar moored in 24 foot of water in the same spot for six years at North Harbour and she has survived all forms of inclement weather and storms. In our bay it is usually the boats in the shallow waters which go ashore in a blow.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Robert Simmons
Helmsman

Australia
420 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2012 :  09:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Condolences Graeme, it's like losing a member of the family, I know.
We had a blow here as well y'day. Gusting over 100km/hr at the capes, over 60 at Rotto and 45 in Melville water. Power is out everywhere, I shaved by candlelight this am.
I blame it all on the politicians.
Rob.

Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep well, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and you will be saved.
Go to Top of Page

Graeme Watson
Helmsman

Australia
253 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2012 :  4:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you I am in about 4 mtrs water at low tide. I am in one of the deep areas The winds were in excess of 100km/h and has now been given a cat. 2 storm grading. The ground chain broke which is a 4 inch S/S chain (It takes a heavy storm for me to drag the chain straight)I have a lot more scope on my chain than most about here. The sea was the biggest problem and when the tide got higher it just pounded over the reef that normally protects us and the boats started to come off moorings. The tide got higher and the seas got bigger. when she hit the beach we tried to hold her with ropes and anchors but it just got stronger. the last few hours before high tide we could only watch as she was pushed up above high tide mark and next to the sand embankment which collapsed on top of her and filled her with sand , see weed and debry. I guess the pounding and excess weight just took their toll. There are some pictures of her on sail-world.com.au Just search for Callala bay washed up boats

Graeme
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.08 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06