New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 09 August 2012 :  09:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris M .. yes mine is simular only with a cock on the bottom near the skin fitting. I have found a firm called Taylors in sydney that make fiber glass waterlock mufflers and it apears that they have a unit that will fit Dulcibella ,i just have to plan the time and take the old one out to mesure before ordering. many thanks Chris, will let you know what happens. tony t.

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2012 :  1:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been pondering your questions and all three of the big endeavour yachts differ in the layout for their engines, where positioned as well as the exhaust manifould systems. In Hagar our engine is a 10 Hp Diesel and is over the keel. We bagan having engine problems and found that there was not a water well in the exhaust system. This in time resulted in water washing back up the exhaust pipe and rusting out the manifould? and damaging the engine head. We got the experts in and installed an exhaust well (water lock)and replaced the exhaust manifound with a stainless steel one. We also had to have the engine top cleaned and reconditioned. There was also a loop placed at the exaust pipe in the stern. We also replaced all of the water and fuel pipes with new ones as well as installing a second fuel filter and a big water basket filter and upgraded the skin fitting for raw salt water intacke because we had problems with the pipe being easily blocked with weed.
All is now functioning well.
The bottom line is to look at other boats and not be backwards at asking your questions.
Not long after we procured the Hagar three of the owner members went along and did a small diesel coarse which was very helpfull.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2012 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Chris C for your help and advice .
I have done a lot of research on this topic and am starting to understand the way it should work .
I thought in my ignorance that because of Dulcibella,s age that the exhaust system must have been layed out correctly but this may not be the case .
If you remember all i was looking for was an answer to the exhaust elbow carboning up , when i met John Witchard at the show he thought that it was the muffler come water trap that was under the floor causeing a restriction in the exhaust hose .
This week i pulled the littler blighter out fully expecting to replace it , on inspection it seemed to be doing the job it had been built to do , there is not a lot of room under the floor to put a manufactured water trap and if i am going to go down that path i will have one made by an expert and proberly have to redirect the hose at the motor end , maybe even build a high rise elbow out of stainless and put the water injection further away from the motor by a cupple of inches .
After putting all this back together with much colour full speech loss of blood from ones hands and frustration i was no futher ahead than when i started , having a quite cupper and a look over the whole system again i found the problem , on the end of the exhaust where it goes through the transom there has been at some time or other a stop cock fitted to stop the sea coming in, i guess in rough weather , i musta been haveing a boy look at this because i did not take into account that it had been fitted to the inside of the exhaust hose there for reducing the inside diameter of the hose just when it needs to be larger......WOW... At the moment i think i shall work out exactly how im going to approach this , although i have found the restriction, i still need to address the problem of water lying in the exhaust hose while sailing in rough water ,although i have about an 18 inch rise at the rear end, a big loop appeals to me but i will have to do lots of thinking before i start to change what i have .
Chris M has now got a better system with a water lock but i would like to hear from other E28 owners who have the motor at the pointy end as to the lay out of their exhaust system. cheers tony
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.06 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06