New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2013 :  07:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G,day all E28 owners , I would like some advice from E28 owners who have the engine at the pointy end of their boat . I would like to try and dry out next to jetty at Callala Bay to clean my prop as we don't have a slipway in Jarvis Bay , this is common practice here but mostly with boats that have their engines at the rear end . Has anyone done this with an E28 and what precautions do you take to stop your boat falling forward when the tide goes out .If i get this wrong it could be very embarrassing as the old salts love to watch and tell you how wrong your doing it, apart form the damage i could do to Dulcibella . Your help would be appreciated .
Cheers Taunto

PS Does anyone have a sure fire way of keeping the wee beasties off the propeller , we have tried nearly all the common coatings including the very expensive types nothing seems to do the job, i have just bought a new product call Feldten prop sealer which one sprays on but i'm not that confident .

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2013 :  3:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried Speed-prop? It is a yellow primer and then two coats of a clear silicon goo. The trick is to make sure the prop is 100% clean to metal and then apply two coats of primmer and when it has dried off you apply the silicon. But you must not touch the finished prop. We apply the yellow primer and then wrap the prop in a plastic bag until the final coats of silicon is applied.
We have been using it for a couple of years on the Hagar. When she comes out of the water for her yearly clean, in just a few months now, the prop is clean but most of the other metal parts which were anti-fowled have grown weed and coral.
We normally get the shipwright to do the final silicon coats just before she goes back in the water and he also happens to be a bit of a wizard at this type of stuff.
Good luck,
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Taunto
Main Sheet Hand

Australia
103 Posts

Posted - 12 June 2013 :  08:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris we have tried Prop speed without a lot of success is this the same product or another verity . It quite amazing the type of products that people are useing world wide but i think our needs in oz are different , i would love to know what everybody is useing and the success rate . There is a new product called Feldtens prop sealer i have just bought and have applied to an old prop to hang over the back of the boat to test it , has anyone tried this stuff yet.It still seems that diving and scrubbing is the most successful,please let me know your special mix even if it is pepper impregnated honey or some such.
cheers taunto.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.12 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06