Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Nimbus2011
Deck Hand

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 02 September 2015 :  8:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I have had an Endeavour 24 (Nimbus) for four years now and finally got the courage to join your site. Nimbus is my first boat so I am still a novice and have a lot to learn. I would really appreciate some advice on a problem I have with Nimbus.
Nimbus is moored in Brisbane Waters, Central Coast, which copped a battering during the wild storms back in March. During the storm my tiller and rudder seem to have rotated and moved out of alignment. I can't even sail or motor because I would be going around in circles. Haha
The tiller and rudder are in alignment with each other but I am not getting full travel. For example, normal tiller travel would be from 45 degrees starboard to 135 degrees port, approximately. Well I reckon I am getting 100 degrees port to 180 degrees port. Does that make sense?

I tried searching for a schematic diagram of the rudder system on the internet before I started undoing any bolts, with no luck. I am worried the rudder might drop to the bottom of the bay if I do undo anything. Looking below the deck the rest of the shaft is pretty well sealed. I sat in my dinghy for a visual while a friend moved the tiller back and forth, and the rudder and tiller are still in alignment, but they are totally out of alignment with the hull. At full travel to port the rudder and tiller is 90 degrees to the hull, the rudder is acting like a big brake. When tiller is moved towards starboard, the rudder and tiller don't even reach the centreline of the hull, still port of the centreline. So I am thinking there must be some sort of coupling with stops, and maybe that coupling has shifted on the shaft somehow.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I would really appreciate your advice.
Also, if I can't fix it myself and have to take it to someone, how do I get it there, with the rudder basically being a brake or going around in circles.

Thanks in advance guys. I have lots more questions too.

What is the blue book.... is it a maintenance manual for the Endeavours?

Although Nimbus is the only boat I have owned, it is an awesome boat and I have had plenty of great times on it already. Always an adventure on Nimbus!!! I am so glad I got an Endeavour.

Cheers guys,

Sean

tallships
Main Sheet Hand

132 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2015 :  7:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sean

I own the E26 Up Spirits which is moored just off the Scout Hall in Gosford. I have just had her up on the slip to replace the rudder which had sheared off in the April storms. Over the years I have sailed and owned many Endeavour's including 24's and therefore have some knowledge of such things. Give me a call on 0412 277751. I intend to sail Sat so will be out and about.

Pat

Pat Marsh
e26 "Up Spirits"
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.11 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06