New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2005 :  9:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a correct size for headsails, spinnaker and main for a 28 with regards to state and national races.

David.

If vegeterians love animals, why do they eat their food?

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2005 :  03:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure on the E28s David, however I suspect that they are similar to the E30 with no restrictions. You should wait & see what some of the other E28 sailor/owners have to say. You would expect that this will come under the design class racing rules for half tonners.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Colin Cole
Helmsman

Australia
676 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2005 :  09:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The association (as far as I'm aware) does not have a restricton on anything above the 27'er.
Even they vary a bit (given they are supposed to be the same rig/sailplan as the 26)
Hey - Bon Dobbie has a genoa that nearly folds around the stern! :) Kevin probably knows whats acceptable for the 30s! At one time Imperium used to carry a blopper as well as the kite down wind - there was some serious amounts of dacron hanging off the mast then!!
Let the 24s & 26s be measured and the rest of you "go for your lives" I'm sure the official association measurer won't mind or for that fact - even know!!!
Col
Go to Top of Page

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2005 :  9:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Col there is a big heady there, i measured it, from memeory 10.7m leach,10.4m luff and 6.0m foot but she's fitted with a furler at the moment.

And there is a spinnaker that goes with that headsail.

I am starting to get use to that furler though.

Now i just need lazy jacks.

David.

Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2005 :  9:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is questionable that Bon Doobies drifter was any advantage but it certainly demoralised the opposition.
Adrian
Go to Top of Page

Tony Bright
F'ore'ard Hand

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 28 July 2005 :  1:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tony Bright's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi David

I can certainly confirm that Mist can carry a heady of a similar size. After reading Hagars sail sizes (from memory E26 #1 = their #2) I thought Mist must have a big mast but your measurements are similar. We also had a large #1 kite with luff measurements of over 14 meters.

We put lazy jacks on Mist (we have a fully batterned main) and what a wonderful invention they are. They were very simple to put on.
We came along side a BIG cruiser and stood on the flybrige (it was a very big cruiser)and lent Mist over and attached the 2 pullies to the crosstrees with big cable ties. No drilling, no problems. Bought 20 meters of blind cord and SS rings from Bunnings and jobs done. They have been up for over 12 months in all conditions and never miss a beat. Cost of about $35 including pullies.

Tony

Go to Top of Page

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2005 :  7:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quetion for E28/30s.

What is the sail measurements you are using for #1,#2,#3.

At the moment i really only have 2 heady's my #1 is oversize and my other is cut down for the furler, so i am looking to get some better sail sizes, 2nd hand at the moment then when i know what works and i have saved some money may look at buying 1 new one at a time.

David.

Go to Top of Page

Splinter
Helmsman

Australia
500 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2005 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Splinter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dav, your question re sail measurements and sizes can only be answered by a sailmaker. Would suggest either John Hearne or Ian Short because they have been involved with Endeavours since their inception.
We saw the sailmakers in action Oct Regatta between Mackay #3 and Haul n Coal.
When I ordered my set of sails 4 years ago for (a) Wind ranges. (b) application.
My #1 which I think about 160% 0 - 12 knots. Twilights and drifters.
#2 I would think about 130% 12 - 18 knts General purpose
#3 Blade 18 plus - then start to reef
I also have a #2 Dacron for cruising
I also carry a Heavy Weather (Storm)Jib and a Trisail.

From the sounds of your wardrobe, your #1 is Ok for a while, keep your cut down #2 for cruising so for your Club racing you will need #2 & #3. From what we saw on the Ragatta weekend your main will be OK for while.
Dav, I have major reservation on making second hand sails fit. I have seen a couple of chaps do it but were not successful for racing. OK for cruising.
I would hold off and put you money into new, made to fit your rig. Would certainly make Bon Doobie jump.
cheers,

"Splinter"
Go to Top of Page

David
Helmsman

Australia
232 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2005 :  5:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kev,
My #1 is the same 160%, it's the #2 that i will go for first as that is the most used, where does John Hearne work, i think i met him out on Keiths boat when he had a new main.

But on the bright side tommorow is forecast for 5kts so i will be able to use the #1 and the divers should have cleaned the bum during the week so now i am running out of excuses, better perform.

Now i need to find a foredecky, there is nothing worse than sticking with the fleet to the top mark and then watch them pull away back down wind. i wonder what Sasha's doing tomorrow?

I won't even comment Splinters foredeck crew.

David.

Go to Top of Page

Sasha
Helmsman

838 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2005 :  6:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow I am rivetting the boom vang back onto Kieth's boat "By Jingies" (after it broke off the mast when he clobbered me with the boom, some skippers just yell at crew!). I will then be trying to go for a sail, in what promises to be lightning and thunderstorms, with almost no wind and seas between .5 and one meter. Might be interesting.

Sasha

_
The more I know about horses, the more I love sailboats.
Go to Top of Page

Splinter
Helmsman

Australia
500 Posts

Posted - 22 October 2005 :  08:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Splinter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Dav, the "Splinterette's" will be sailing in Bate Bay to-day. Race starts 12.30 and we have a windward/Leeward course. We have a similar forecast in Sydney as Sasha has in Melb without the Rain & Thunder.
It's going to be a very light day.
John Hearne can be contacted at Javelin Marine or Doyle Frazer Sails in Rushcutters Bay 8361 4836.
By the way, Keith is one of the guys I was refering to who bought 2nd hand sails. He is now replacing with new. Expensive experience.

"Splinter"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.11 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06