Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 EYAA (Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia)
 Projects, How-to's and Essays
 Barlow Winches
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Brian Burggraaf
Deck Hand

2 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2005 :  9:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone refurbished Barlow 16 main winches, the caseings look fine but the roller bearings are "very well worn" - ?

mjsloane
Main Sheet Hand

56 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian, I needed parts for a Barlow 8 last year. I dealt with Australian Yacht Winches 02 96881570. They replaced the broken bakerlite base with a brass base and overhauled the winch for about $80.00. I thought that was pretty reasonable. From memory they were out at Huntingwood near Penrith in Sydney.
Regards Michael Sloane
Go to Top of Page

Sasha
Helmsman

838 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  11:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Australian Winch Company also sells kits including bearings, toggles and springs for reviving Barlow and various other no-longer-produced winches. I highly recommend them. We did all six of our winches at once and ordered six kits as well as two spares for the main sheet winches. The price was reasonable and we got a nice discount for the order.

Sasha

_
The more I know about horses, the more I love sailboats.

Edited by - Sasha on 25 October 2005 11:28:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Colin Cole
Helmsman

Australia
676 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  11:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff to know! I might re kit my Barlow 26s - When I put them on the boat all other club members had a go at me (as they are overkill in the extreme - but the right price)
Anyway - I praying for a prolonged tacking duel - we ain't gettin any younger, but have nooooooo trouble sheeting sails on now! :)
Reg actually put 24s on the Rhumbline a. because thats what he had in the factory and b. he claimed he was not getting younger at the time! A wise man that Reggie.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Burggraaf
Deck Hand

2 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  5:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Guy's I will report my progress.
Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  9:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Colin,
I suggest you send your sheethands to the gym twice a week.
Adrian
Go to Top of Page

Colin Cole
Helmsman

Australia
676 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  12:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do they sell "Dark & Stormies & Winfeild Blues" @ a gym?

:)
Go to Top of Page

david_eastwood
Main Sheet Hand

124 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  10:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see david_eastwood's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gents - I will have 2 x Barlow 20's up for grabs shortly as I am replacing them with Lewmar 2 speeders. Condition reasonable but showing their age. Base of one was replaced a couple of years ago, bearings are good, might be missing a spring here or there.

Shed boy #1, the one holding the stick thingy.
Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 27 October 2005 :  7:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
Last Wednesday we sailed in a strong gusty northwester. We elected to use our No 1 Genoa. This was OK when the wind was varying from 10-20 knots. Towards the end of the race it got up to about 30 knots for some time. Imperium handled the conditions reasonably well but would have gone much better with a No2 genoa. We have Barlow 18 two speed winches, and the crew did have difficulty sheeting on the genoa after tacking, but they persisted and sheeted it home. Some observations, Imperium sailed reasonably well in the 30 knot wind, The main tended to turn inside out unless it was pulled up the travellor. In the bigger gusts I dropped the main down the travellor and control was maintained. She was light on the tiller and there was no great tendency to round up. In the extreme gusts you could feel we were tending to slip to leeward. We finished the race without any damage, but I suggest this is not the way to sail your E26. You run too great a risk of loosing the mast, as the loading on the rigging is extreme. I feel we learnt a lot from the exercise, knowing that she was able to keep sailing with full rig in extreme conditions could be a benefit in the near future.
Good Sailing
Adrian
Go to Top of Page

Colin Cole
Helmsman

Australia
676 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2005 :  07:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Near future!!! Being about Jan 20th Ad?

Ad can you tell me does your club have a "firm policy" on if they sail or not, if there is a Gale Warning issued prior to start time?

Anyone else wish to contribute? I've just taken on the Rear Comm job @ BBYC (yeah - like I don't have enough to do in life!) I want to set up some structure - within reason!

Did you all get your NORs? Who's attending? Sgould be very competitive this year! couple of quick boats @ BBYC with another on the way being sailed by some "hot shot" Etchell guys (fear them!)

The Gosford boys are in serious mode too if there finish times are an indication.

Col
Go to Top of Page

Splinter
Helmsman

Australia
500 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2005 :  1:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Splinter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Col, the RMYC Port Hacking have very firm policy re Gale Warnings. The wording is :-
In the event of a GALE WARNING being issued by the Bureau of Metreorology (www.bom.gov.au) in the race area, which is current within two hours before the scheduled start time of a race or for any other reason that the Race Committee may decide, the race shall be postponed to a later daye or cancelled, as the Race Committee may decide.
It then goes on about posting the decision on the Notice board & Web site. We also contact all skippers via SMS.
I feel this is possibly the most important, however frustrating decision to be made, the last 2 we had were nothing but to protect the Committee, we must do it.
Not going to the litigation that is still going on re '98 Hobart.
cheers,

"Splinter"
Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2005 :  3:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Colin,
Here is the relevant section from our sailing instructions(RMYC Toronto). We do have some dihards that wish to sail irrespective of the conditions. What usually happens is that a reduced field ends up sailing. "The officer of the day or the starter, in consultation with the sailing committee members present may postpone a race in the event of extreme weather conditions." Recently the starter indicated he wished to postpone but was over-ruled by others present. Yes, Imperium will be present in January.
Adrian
Go to Top of Page

Splinter
Helmsman

Australia
500 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2005 :  3:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Splinter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think Adrians response to the "Gale warning" means that he is not on the Sailing Div or Club Committee to make the decision. I think it all depends whether the Club has insurance against the Committee. (You should not be on a Committee now without Insurance)
The Insurance states Gale Warning - No Sail
No further decision, He who sails is at their own risk and they would have to explain to the Cororina Inquiry what you were doing if somebody get hurt or killed.?
Another thing, check your racing Insurance for each boat you will be amazed.
So far as I am concerned "Gale Warning" go home and chat to the wife and do something else.
cheers,

"Splinter"
Go to Top of Page

Colin Cole
Helmsman

Australia
676 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2005 :  9:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers guys - so much for the old days when it was the sole responsibility of the owner, and we learnt our seamanship (albeit the hard way sometimes)
I'll formulate a plan of attack - just so long as we "protect" our ability to sail in Jan :)

Thx Col

PS any other info appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

mjsloane
Main Sheet Hand

56 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2005 :  06:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colin,
Cronulla Sailing Club has a very similiar policy to the RM's. I don't have the book with me at the moment for the exact wording but I'm fairly sure that it is similiar to what Kevin has previously stated, if there is a gale warning we don't sail. Already this summer we have cancelled 2 races due to gale warnings. It's disapointing to have a race cancelled but it's the rules we race under.
regards Michael Sloane
Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2005 :  09:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I just checked my yacht Insurance Policy (QBE Marine) and there is no mention of insurance cover not applying during a Gale warning for the area. Our club's on the water insurance was obtained through Yachting Australia, so I will follow up that policy to see if there is any implications from that quarter. This subject is one we should investigate fully.
Adrian
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2005 :  09:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep going with your investigations Adrian. We at our Club are interested in this matter. As a member of the board & race committee we could be liable. Although I believe most sailors would not go the committee there would be a few women who would be easily stired up by their legal representative.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

mmcdonald
Main Sheet Hand

62 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2005 :  11:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't a gale warning mean you start thinking of a reef?

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Go Flow
Helmsman

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2005 :  1:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rear Commodore at RMYC Toronto is talking to our Insurers.
Adrian
Go to Top of Page

Splinter
Helmsman

Australia
500 Posts

Posted - 01 November 2005 :  3:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Splinter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What just now ? you guys on committee's have been liable for years.
Adrian check it out fully and don't take a risk, if you are on Committee then read the instruction. "Gale Warning" do not sail!. Otherwise get every skipper to sign off with their responsibilities. Must be througher in the sign off to clear your self. Otherwise your house is on the line if you are on the Committee.
Sleep tight,
cheers,

"Splinter"
Go to Top of Page

tallships
Main Sheet Hand

132 Posts

Posted - 07 July 2015 :  1:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a Barlow Winch Dismantling Tool?

Pat Marsh
e26 "Up Spirits"
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.11 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06