Fibreglass Shell Inside an E28
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kevin
Sheet Hand

Australia
28 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kevin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone.

There is a fibreglass shell inside the E28. The shell is a mold that includes things such as forward and rear bunks, and the settee and dinette (with associated storage) in the centre of the yacht. (see diagrams about half way through the blue book)

I am considering the removal of the internal fibreglass shell, and replacing it with a more "open plan" design inside.

Can someone advise if the original internal shell can safely be removed? Is it part of the hull strength, or is the there to just "look pretty" ?

Kevin

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  3:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,
The same thought has crossed my mind in regards to removing the lining of the E30 Hagar IV, however we have found that weight is not the major issue in getting the boats to go any quicker. Its systems, crew work and sails. The Hagar has been for the last two years a work as you and upgrade.
While the lining is a pain in the but at times with a lack of access to underside of deck mounted fittings, there are benefits in the liner:
1. It can polish up well and look good.
2. It helps to insulate from the direct sun heated decking.
3. Its' removal will create a huge amount of work and cleaning. And what will you do to the rough ceiling once it has been removed, replace it with carpet like the Kiatoa which is just a whole lot more trouble in the near future.
I suggest that you leave it alone and make everything work 100% and go racing.
Enjoy your new boat. We are racing tonight.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Sheet Hand

Australia
28 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2007 :  9:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kevin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response Chris.

My overriding concern was interior renovation, removing / relocating the settee and toilet area, including a couple of 6' 6" beds, replacement of electrics and strengthening underneath the deck areas.

The hull and keel on Electra are excellent. Initially it seemed alot easier to start from scratch with the internal fittings.

I take your points though, and will consider it further before major renovations.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Chris Cope
Skipper

Australia
2350 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2007 :  7:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hullo there Kevin,
How is the Electra going and have you done anything with the inner skin/shell? We are currently fixing deck leaks and trying to trace where the water gets in. It then can move across the inner skins, two in some places and enter at the mast or the shroud plates.
Hope to see you at the Drummoyne Regatta in October which is now just a few months away. We are moving full steam ahead with maintance and upgrades. Slowly, slowly goes the saying as we move towards our third season. Most of the main systems are working aboard the Hagar now with the future being new sails and just tarting her up and some tweaking.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc © 2014 Endeavour Yacht Association of Australia inc Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.06 seconds to load. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06